Saturday, January 24, 2015

Behind the lens

He started off by shooting roses and he says that of the32 photographs he shot he got only 2 right. It’s difficult to believe when popular celebrity photographer Karthik Srinivasan talks about his humble beginnings. He was born in a small town called Cumbam near Madurai and started shooting while he was in the 10th standard itself. With no formal education in photography or mentors the man has made it big all on his own purely on the basis of skill and talent. It is not without reason that SONY has chosen him from South India as brand ambassador for their Professional Alpha Camera Series. Karthik shares his happiness about being associated with an international giant like SONY and elaborates on his passion for photography. What got you interested in photography? I started shooting while I was in my 10th standard. My father used to get a lot of magazines like Stardust, Filmfare etc and I used to look at the pictures of celebrities in it. I tried out for DFtech at the film institute and Vis Comm in Loyola but didn’t get in. However I got the chance to model because of my height and frame. For seven years I was into modeling after which I turned to photography again. After this there was no turning back. Can you tell us the true basis of your inspiration? I’m always hungry for work. If I’m taking up a job I want to be the best at it. I didn’t learn photography from anyone, I didn’t go to any school. I wanted to prove myself. I wanted to work and show who I was and this made me very aggressive. What is your state of mind before every shoot? I’ve been shooting for many years but even now I will be nervous. That makes me driven. The moment you lose your fear things will go wrong. I take all shoots, big or small, very seriously. How would you describe your style? When I started photography I wanted to create an image that was on par with those of other established photographers. I started working on the saturation, contrasts, framing etc. I studied the style of all other photographers and created my own style. What type of camera do you shoot with? I now shoot with a Sony Alpha 99 with a Carl Zeiss. I tested this camera for two months, compared it with a lot of other cameras and found that the technology in this is superior to that used in other cameras. What is your favorite accessory other than your camera? It depends on what im shooting. I always have my laptop, Ipad, mobile phone etc with me. What kind of lighting equipment do you take on a shoot? Again it depends on what im shooting. I always carry my broncolar lighting. There are also lots of light modifiers that I carry. What is your favorite editing accessory? There are a lot of softwares coming in mobile phones for professional shoots but I generally don’t believe in using editing softwares or filters. I don’t even know how to use these filters. If you take my laptop I only have my light processing softwares. 90-95% of the image is created while shooting. It is only for the remaining 5 % that you should depend on photoshop. If your shooting someone against the sky and you want to change the color of the sky you can use photoshop. For things that are not under your control you can use photoshop. Everything else you create during the shoot. Are you a MAC or a PC lover? Any photographer loves MAC because it gives exact saturation. Even for amateurs I would recommend MAC. Any new equipment that you have your eyes on? I always wanted to do underwater photography. I wanted to buy a RIG for underwater. It will fit into the camera and it also has underwater lighting. What gives you ideas and inspires you to create such awesome imagery? You can take inspiration from everything. For eg I was sitting in Bangkok on the streets having a drink and a couple were sitting near the water. I took a picture of the couple and later took models to the same place and shot photographs. When I travel I notice every single detail. How do you educate yourself to take better photographs? I constantly innovate. What I was doing two years back I don’t do it anymore. The only way a skilled person can compete with a well educated well informed youth in his 20s is by using their knowledge and experience. Tell us something about your association with SONY Generally for a photographer a brand like SONY associating with him is big recognition. Im proud to be selected along with some of the biggest photographers of the country. It also puts a lot of pressure on me because from now on the world will be watching. I am happy and proud to be one among the very popular photographers from the country who have been chosen and I am the brand ambassador for their Professional Alpha Camera Series

No comments:

Post a Comment