Saturday, June 26, 2010

Pranayama and peeptoe booties


I always associated yoga with the old and the ageing and wondered how twisting your body into pretzel like forms could actually equal a real workout. Not that petite, five point nothing me is into heavy weights, my personal pair of dumbells weigh just 1.5 kg:D and they work fine for me. But cardio and weight training (even light weights) is reasonably exhausting and when a part of your body hurts in a certain way post workout you know you must be doing something right.
This was all until I discovered shilpa yoga. That’s not what it’s called generically but I think you can safely call it that because Shilpa shetty has done a most amazing job of glamorising this ancient fitness routine and making it sound like the coolest thing to be doing. Now when a woman with an enviable figure like that says yoga is good you cannot possibly argue and priced at a very very affordable Rs 150 the cd is bound to make anyone say, why not?
A compilation of the most basic of asanas, the cd that runs an hour long has Ms Shetty demoing the asanas against the beautiful backdrop of a picturesque Kerala beach. One and a half months into practice, I now find myself converted. I definitely believe in yoga. I am still working on the breathe control aspect and it’s too early to comment on the subject of weight loss. But the toning benefits are almost immediate.
Feeling rejuvenated from my new practice I stepped out yesterday wearing purple black and yellow all at the same time and I think it wasn’t a bad fashion experiment at all. I was at the launch of a new label ‘Design’, by the 4 month old store Language located on 4th street, Rutland gate(Nungambakkam). While the newly launched line was wearable, I did spot some fabulous Miss Sixty footwear while browsing the store. So the next time you feel like a little foot flattering, this might be a place you would want to check out.

1 comment:

  1. thanx for de comment sf. I have jus discovered yoga. I am sure i will be doing a lot of reading up on de subject from now on

    ReplyDelete